Sunday, August 12, 2012

Summer Olympics

Since its the Summer Olympics right now in London, there were a LOT of great Olympic themed singing time ideas online. Here's one that I found that the kids totally LOVED!  (Sorry to who ever originally posted it, I cant give you credit because I didn't save your blog address.) 



First of all I talked a bit about the Olympics, and got them hyped up.  Then I divided the room into two teams.  Each "team" had a turn to pick which "sport" they wanted to try.  But both "teams" got to sing each song together.

Here's a list of all the "sports" that we did.



Torch Relay: I am Like a Star - turn off lights and pass the the torch around the room. 
     I had really good intentions of making a torch out of a flash light, but things got busy Saturday night, and that just didn't happen.  So I brought 2 flashlights, told the kids that they were the torches, and they had to pass them around the room.  I'm not sure if I would do this part of it again.  The kids - especially the Jr's, didn't like passing the torch, they just wanted to play with it, and they didn't understand the purpose of it.



Volleyball: Nephi’s Courage - volley the song back and forth (each side sings one line).
     This one the kids loved.  Especially when we went fast.


Marathon: When I am Baptized - sing as much as you can in one breath.



Synchronized Singing: Wiseman - sign language (actions for the song).
     I told them how important it is for sync. swimmers to do every action together, and made a really big deal about that.  The kids took this one very seriously.


Rhythmic Gymnastics: Choose the Right - do this rhythm with your hands: lap, lap, clap, clap, snap,  snap, thumbs over shoulders.



Archery: I'm Trying to be like Jesus - as the leader’s arms are stretched out, sing louder and as arms close, sing softer.
     This one was not my favourite. 

All in all, it was a fun singing time, and a good review for the presentation songs.  Below are the list of events that I had on the chalk board for the kids to choose from.  (I'm still figuring out this blogging thing, and don't know how to do this properly so you can just print it out from a link.)  Sorry.






Jr. - 10
Sr. - 10

No comments:

Post a Comment